I have been told that my blogs are very "informational." Apparently, my blog needs to have some stories and emotion. And sarcasm does not qualify as emotion. Who knew? Not this guy.
So update here: we are in the studio. Recording. Joe is actually recording the last drum track as I type this. I am a good engineer. Checkin' levels and stuff. Nope. I am blogging. This song has a lot of close mics and the preamps are cranked because Joe is using brushes for this sweet little ditty. I have a sneaking suspicion when I listen back, I will hear the clicking of the keyboard through the overhead mics that are picking up the room noise. I am going to leave it in there too.
I am finding myself a little strapped for time to finish the album. I did not expect such a busy February and that puts me behind on mixing. We want to have the album out by March/April tour. But I do not think that will happen. I am taking a group a youth group kids to lead worship at a youth conference in Columbia, South America February 17-23. That is awesome, but 5 days of not mixing is a lot of time. For me, that equals 40-50 hours not working on the album.
Plus, the financial strain of paying for tour expenses and taking care of some bills does not leave anything to press CDs. That is how it goes. You get an album done and cannot even press it if you want to tour. We can always hope that diesel fuel will drop to around a $1.10/gal. I do not see why that is unreasonable. Oh wait. Yes, I do. Oil tycoons need to their quarterly $1,000,000 bonuses. I mean, come on. We would not want to deprive them of that.
So bottom line, we are looking at a digital release in March and pressing the album in May. Unless (and we never rule this out!) there is a financial/time miracle.
The album itself is sounding great. I am very excited to get it out and see what the response is. We have had such great response to our live shows. I am hoping that carries over. I think the ideas and different things that I have thrown out in the studio have stretched the guys a lot. Musically and technically, it is a very focused album. It has a lot of hooks, harmonies, technical drum fills, and string/synth parts.
Aside from that, we have thrown around an idea of a yearly worship EP. Probably just a short production run and digital release. We keep coming back to it. I think that is another facet we need to explore.
I have instrumentally finished my own solo album. I am starting lyrics. It has been a couple years in the making. I have not written lyrics in a year, so I have some songs lurking around that need life. It is very epic, orchestral, and has a lot of electronic aspects to it. Very little guitar work, if you can believe that. I play guitar all the time. I wanted something else.
So there is your informational, sarcastic, lifeless blog! Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment