Tuesday, September 7, 2010

9/6/2010

Listen. Stop. Play. Soundcheck. Be here. Eat. Sleep. Don't sleep. Wear this. Tune. Set up. Set up on the other side of the stage. Get a wristband. Drive. Sleep. Meet and greet. Sign this. Play this other guitar. You're late. You're early. Stand here for the camera. Here's your coffee. Break down your gear. Your table is over here.

"Your in-ear pack is number 1. You'll be referred to as 'number 1' all day for soundchecks."

What constantly amazes me about playing music is that the only peace I have is in music. When I get done with a crazy day of travel, meeting people, and playing a show, all I want to do is listen to something that will help me wind down. And the stranger thing for me is to think that the band I am listening to probably had the same kind of crazy day I did! That seems weird to me when I really think about it. I wonder if I am listening to Anberlin to relax and they are listening to Between the Trees. It is more than possible. We are friends, so they have our material. Oh, the what ifs...

I wish every show I played was outside. In the middle of a giant field filled with dancing sun-burnt people. Festivals have always been my favorite. It is such a disarming, natural setting. All the artists are on equal playing ground. We all ate together, talk, unpack gear, borrow each other's guitars. Me with everyone from to Phil Wickham to Reliant K to Phil Keaggy in one room eating fried chicken and swapping tour stories and gear tips like old friends.

I feel like a communal experience like that is what musicians crave and need. It was not about "what can I get here?" and "who is the bigger band?" The best conversation I remember having in the past year was last night, sitting on our road cases in the back of our trailer with Paul Colman. It was completely open and brutally honest. Totally a God-arranged time. After a conversation revolving around the failures and frustrations of music, he summed up in two words the best advice I have ever been given as a musician: "What box?"

I always thought of myself as a forward thinker and risk taker. Before that statement, that is. I realized in those two words that I have to rely on God more than anything to take me down a creative and uncertain path to a brilliant future.

The festival was great. It was amazing to see so many musicians I grew up admiring just being people, like we all are. Such a wonderful experience with many awesome people.

I am home getting some friends/family/puppy time before we take off with The Almost next week! Get ready, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment