Thursday, October 21, 2010

10/21/2010

Disclaimer: this is a rant. 
I am just saying whatever pops into my head.


I think there is something wrong with me. Or right with me (for who I am). It is no secret I do not like playing acoustic guitar. People tell me it is "organic and artistic." I know, I know. I still hate it. I am hard pressed to find anything musically I dislike more. It is so bland and unexciting to me. I just want to sleep when I strum the first chord. Or puke. I could puke, too. Straight bile. 

It is not just acoustic guitars. I do not have time for nostalgia. I do not have very much to remind me of any type of past. I have a ton of pictures on Facebook and that is about it. I have a picture on my nightstand and I think that may be the only actual print picture I have. I do not like records either. It sounds like someone had a bad guitar cable. I hear an old record on an ancient system and think, "this would sound much better as a CD or FLAC mp3 playing on my studio monitors." 

I do not care for classic rock. I could not care less about how The Beatles got us to where we are today. I feel like I am a fair musician without ever once learning a Beatles song. I do not think I have ever listened to a complete Beatles song. I am sure I have overheard one. But I do not have any interest. There are a few Led Zeppelin songs that are cool, but nothing I would listen to everyday. Or even once a week. It just does not sound good to me. The recording process then was not good. I know it is simply because of the lack of technology, but that just means I like new stuff that sounds pristine. 

Old guitars. Why? I do not care who played it or recorded what with it. Does it make it sound better? Nope. Does it make me play better? Nope. Then why does it matter? I like my guitars that are new. I think the "relic" option is cool, because I like the look of a well played guitar. But I am a clean person. I would prefer not to have someone's grossness on my guitar. 

I am not one to hang on to songs I write. If someone wants one, step into my office, sign a few papers, sign a check and go make it awesome. But you better bet I am getting writing credit and my cut. I do not think I have ever worried about a song I have lost. I can just write a better one. Same concept, better rhyme scheme: new song.

I like auto-tune. And I do not think anyone should record without it. It makes my synesthesia go crazy when the focal point of the music off key. I want to throw the stereo system through a wall. A concrete one. THAT IS RIGHT. I WANT TO BREAK A CONCRETE WALL.

Give me the next best thing before it hits the stores. 

Make it new and make it sound good. 

That said, I am allowing myself room to change. Someday in the future, I may be an antique guitar collector who scrapboooks while listening to Beatles' albums on my antique mono system. 

I admire people who love antique stuff and nostalgia. I read blogs of friends who collect records and old clothes. They have "finds" at thrift stores and pawn shops. I think that is cool. And I appreciate it because they have a viewpoint of life I just do not have. On one hand, they kind of drive me crazy from time to time, but I am sure I seem inhuman to them. But they make me more well rounded because I try to understand where they are coming from. I want to understand why they like that stuff. 

There is always something new to learn when I attempt to understand someone who has something I do not have. I feel like when I get that insight into someone else, I add a little piece of that to me. Every little bit helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment