I wrote this in an email today to a friend. She specifically mentioned this part of the email and so I am going to share it.
"I'm a huge proponent of people with an artistic gift finding what God has for them! It's very hard for artists to not get burned in church and to be able to separate God from people in the church who misunderstand and misuse artists. That's a life-changing distinction for artists to make. I've seen so many talented creative minds lost because of that. But God has an awesome plan! He's started a good work, so He will be faithful to finish it!"
I will just let that be. It speaks for itself.
I just finished a conversatiom with an older businessman in Perkins. He is a "money-mind" and took particular interest in me when he overheard one of the other tables talking about our show. He asked me some very in-depth questions about business and personal finances. But then he wanted to know how I survive on the road away from my family and Joanna, and how I survive living such a hectic, crazy lifestyle in the most ruthless industry. Those open, honest conversations are few and far between, but they are a reality check and that conversation just sparked a lot of thought.
I get so caught up in the mad rush routine of drive, unpack, give every ounce of energy I have to a crowd, meet a kabillion people, pack, drive. Everyday is insanity. Everyday is different. There is no "daily schedule." Nothing is set in stone. I do not have time to decompress, think, or work through the things I have heard, seen, or experienced.
It seems weird, but that is really nice -- I have to be honest. I do not have to think or worry. Give me a guitar and stick me in a van going all over the country. My biggest concern most of the time is that I cannot ever seem to keep a Sharpie on me to sign stuff. Everything I need for survival is in the trailer. I play music I love every night. I record, mix, or write during the day because our van is set up for it. I get to pick out any Gibson guitar I want and just take it whenever I want. I do not make a million dollars every night, but I am set up for sure. Most musicians never get to that point. It just kinda blows my mind how God has worked everything in my life.
I know it could all end tomorrow. I know I could be back building houses in the middle of Florida summer. But for right now, I am living the dream and soaking up every crazy second of it. I miss my awesome friends. I miss my sweet girl. I miss my family. But I am blessed by all their incredible encouragement to go out and do what so few people get to do.
God is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment