Tuesday, May 25, 2010

5/25/2010

I will never understand why venue staff feels the need to be rude to bands. It does not help anything.

Today, we got half our equipment loaded, then realized the stage was too small to backline. So we put it back in the trailer. Several hours later, we went to get wristbands and check in with the door guy who the most annoying frat boy I have ever encountered. This is how it went.

Door guy: "Why didn't you backline?"

Me: "No room."

Door guy: "Well you should have loaded on."

Me: (with California surfer accent in the most sarcastic tone I can muster) "It's all goooood, bro. It's all gonna be awe-uh-some, bro. No worries, bro."

Door guy: (extremely annoyed) "Well it's gonna be hard to load in around a sold out crowd."

Me: (also annoyed, still with Cali accent) "Yeah. Bro. Yeaaaaah."

Door guy: (more annoyed) "Well, talk to your band and see when you can load in your stuff."

Me: (Cali accent) "I couldn't tell you, bro. I'm just a hire on guitarist. I don't care, as long as I get paid."

I think I won. It was great. The venue was a little rough, but the crowd was awesome! I wish I could have had a little more fun with them, but the stage was so small that I literally could only take one step in any direction. I also got to hang out with my friend and old band member Jonathon and his wife Shanna. That was awesome!

So Joanna and I had a really long talk to just decompress from the week and an awesome prayer time. Now we are at the band's original guitarist's house. We are watching 'Dumb and Dumber.' Good way to end the night.

3 comments:

  1. Just started reading these blogs. You've been so prolific lately that I'm been afraid to jump in, scared I'll get buried beneath waves of text. These are nice and short so far. I like it.

    Glad to hear the tour is going well! I was unavoidably out of town when you played G-Ville.

    I wish I had a more reliable car. Mine has a hard time just making it around Gainesville. If I drive it for more than 30-45min straight the steering wheel starts to shake. Since the issue started I got 4 new tires, rotated and balanced them, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires and replaced a rotor in the engine. In the year before that I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders, the brake master cylinder, and the alternator. I leak power steering fluid and in the past oil has "gone missing." (leak or burnt, I dunno)

    Scuse me, I got sidetracked. Point is, I wish I could drive all over Florida seeing shows but as it is I can really only see the few bands that actually hit FL. Thank God for the Fest. I cant wait for 9!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Actually hit FL" should be "Actually hit Gainesville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand, buddy! Hopefully we'll be hitting Gainesville again in mid-July! Should be a good time! I'll let you know as soon as we actually get something solid as far as a date.

    ReplyDelete