Thursday, May 13, 2010

5/12/2010

Last night we played at a club called Diesel which was top notch. Great sound, great look (the whole ceiling was LED's) and stage set up. As with most venues like that, the staff was a little less than friendly. That is always a bummer because it makes for a much nicer experience when the bands and staff are all friends. It was just one door guy. The sound tech was great and even the promoter seemed friendly.

There was a pretty harsh altercation between the staff and the opening band, who was extremely late. They were told when they showed up that they were too late to set up and were not needed in the line-up. So we got a solid 45 minute set. That is sad for the opening band, but was great for us.

We also had the best sushi I think I have ever had. If you are ever in Pittsburgh, PA, check out Nakami downtown. Good prices and amazing sushi!

Today has been on heckuva day. We played Allentown, PA. I got very lost while biking through town, looking for espresso. I found organic espresso at a tiny health food store. I promptly got lost on the way back. I ended up in the ghetto and was kicking myself for not paying more attention in Spanish class.

Hispanic ghettos bother me for two reasons. First, I do not understand Spanish so I know I could inadvertantly make someone angry. And I could not use my sense of humor and charm to get out of a bad situation. Second, I cannot thing of any worse way to die than getting stabbed. Maybe being completely engulfed in fire. Anywaaaays...

The venue was Crocodile Rock. If you are in a band and are being booked at the downstairs venue, then just cancel. The bands all got a 20 minute set with 5 minutes for set change. There was talk about canceling, but that would have meant forfeiting our guarantee from the venue. So we crammed 40 minutes of awesome into 20 minutes.

Now we are camped out at Walmart with everything essential to life inside a giant 24-hour warehouse. Tomorrow, we will start with coffee from Dunkin Donuts inside. I am bunking down for the night. I just had my nightly prayer time with Joanna; something I look forward to so much everyday! We are in our van with snacks and Hurt Locker on 2 flip down screens complete with a massive sound system and tons of blankets, sleeping bags and pillows. Another good end to a good day at Camp Between the Trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment