Tuesday, May 11, 2010

5/11/2010

I am going to compile a list of the best ways to stay healthy on the road. Then I am going to write a book for bands or anyone who travels. You can literally eat for next to nothing and have it be somewhat healthy.

Salads: you can buy side salads at any fast food joint for a buck. This is generally how I do lunch. Two salads with nonfat dressing. It is nutritious and delicious. Tip: Burger King has the best side salad. It is huge and has romaine lettuce and chopped veggies. McDonald's and Wendy's tie for second place. Wendy's probably drops to 3rd, simply because they have bacon crumbles on their side Caesar salad and I do not eat pork.

Chicken sandwiches (or nuggets): also on the dollar menu. Your best bet here is to toss the bun, unless you can get a wheat bun, and tear the chicken into chunks and put it on your salad.

I know that does not seem filling and I doubt it every single time I go to order, but I am always full after the meal.

Drinks: I never buy a Dr. Pepper at a restaurant. $2 for a 20 oz? Seriously?? $3 at Walmart gets a 12-pack that I keep on ice in the trailer. Just walk in there with your own can. I have never had someone say anything to me. It is fast food -- they do NOT care. I also get a water at every stop, just to keep up my water intake.

I keep a loaf of whole wheat bread (or cracked wheat flat bread), peanut butter, and honey in my clothes bin of the trailer. That is what I hit when I get a craving for ice cream or cookies. The peanut butter and honey cure the sweet tooth and it has much better nutritional content, especially with wheat bread. I will usually eat one in the morning as soon as we check out of the hotel and one between lunch and dinner since we usually have dinner at 2 am. This also takes the edge off, so I do not over-eat at dinner.

Fruit: you can buy single pieces of fruit at a Walmart Supercenter for well under a dollar. Fructose is a really good alternative to a donut or something terrible in the morning!

Coffee: this definitely gets its own section. I know there are lots of different methods here, but I do specialty coffees which is expensive on the road. I brought an espresso brewer with me and I can brew in the van. I keep a jug of chocolate soy or almond milk on ice in the trailer. I am not a huge soy or almond fan, but they have a lot of advantages. They are much healthier than regular milk; they keep longer; they do not have to be refrigerated as carefully as milk. So pour a cold cup of chocolate almond milk, brew a shot of espresso, mix, throw in an ice cube and BOOM -- instant mocha. I generally spend right under $15/month on coffee fixings versus the $120 I would spend on Starbucks in a month.

So there ya go! Hope that helps anyone who would possibly be interested in this lifestyle!

We are pulling into Pittsburg, PA right now. Looking forward to a good show tonight!

1 comment:

  1. so i finally got around to reading this today and just read through the entire thing. ha, epicly funny and still a good read. miss ya man, cant wait till your back in florida!

    ReplyDelete